**ACTION ALERT: SIGN OUR PETITION**
Our bill had a hearing on Tuesday January 24th in the House Agriculture, Land Use, Natural Resources and Water Committee.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- CONTACT THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS TO SUPPORT THE BILL : If you live in the district of one of the committee members, it’s really important that they hear from you on this issue. This form will take your address and figure out if you are in a committee member’s district then give you either a message of gratitude (if your legislator has already sign on) or a message of encouragement (if they have’t taken action) to support the bill. You can customize the message with your experience!
- ADD YOUR NAME TO THE PETITION – Tell the Oregon Legislature that you want safe, locally raised raw milk to be easier to purchase and produce in Oregon.
- WATCH THE TESTIMONY HEARING
About the Bill
Oregon prides itself on being a state with happy cows, lots of cheese and a national presence in the dairy industry. In reality our state has been losing dairy farms by the dozens in the last few decades because of the pressure to “get big, or get out” in the Grade A dairy industry. This type of dairy, which fills grocery store shelves but involves lots of licensing and processing equipment, is mostly full of farmers who sell their milk to more centralized creameries because of the cost of production. But what about the raw milk producers who can’t participate in that system? Here in Oregon, raw milk producers have existed in a legal limbo for too long and their liminal status keeps them from thriving. FoFF is bringing forward a proposal in the 2023 Legislative Session to expand opportunities and provide a pathway to farm viability for raw milk producers.
2023 POLICY PROPOSALS:
RAW MILK AND SMALL DAIRY REGULATIONS
Based on member feedback, survey suggestions, conversations and sessions, we have identified a few actionable steps to help raw milk producers grow their business, when desired, and access a broader consumer base. With the state’s growing prioritization of creating an equitable, accessible and local food system — especially as we continue to navigate food access challenges exacerbated by the pandemic — we propose changes to Oregon’s sales regulations for dairies that fall under the exemption status laid out in ORS 621.012.
In 2023 and in future Legislative Sessions as needed, the Oregon Legislature should consider:
- Off-Premise Sales – Permitting off-premises sales (such as in farmers
markets and food hubs) and including delivery options of raw milk for
- Removing Cow Prohibition – Repealing the raw cow’s milk prohibition in
ORS 621.116 to help remove barriers to accessing insurance for small
- Training Access – Establishing a platform to report on raw milk safety
training, risk analysis and testing standards for licensed dairies engaging
in raw milk sales.
Read our FULL POLICY REPORT
Read our FULL RAW MILK BLOG POST
Sign Our Petition:
I want safe, locally raised Raw Milk to be easier to purchase and produce in Oregon!
Tell the Oregon Legislature that it’s time to legalize raw milk sales in our state. Sign the petition below to show your support!
InFARMation: Shouldn’t it be Easier to Buy Raw Milk?
Love Our Advocacy? Donate to Support it!
Advocacy is best when it is by and for our community. We fund our systems change work with small donations from individuals like you who are impacted by these policies. Whether you’re a farmer looking to sell your raw milk off farm or a customer wanting to buy your raw milk at the farmers market, your support makes this possible. Your tax deductible donation also helps keep our advocacy programs free to everyone!